Monday, October 6, 2014

Campus Jobs

Just like any other time during one's life, you're left with choices that can dictate everything from where you live, to what you end up doing for the rest of your life... (No pressure, right?)

Well, college is one of those times where you can put on many sorting hats, until you find the one that fits you, however many tries that may take.

For those of you who are like me and prefer decisions, not options, this could be a very taxing and well, annoying for lack of better words, process.


But, with my infinite amount of wisdom, I tell you not to fear! A great way of deciding what works for you (and maybe even what you never want to do again!) is by working on campus...

Now, again, for those of you who are maybe overwhelmed by options, a typical University will have too many to ponder. But, for those of you who LOVE your options, it's more of a blessing, than a curse...

So, my words of wisdom to you are these:

    • Try what you think you'll be good at
      • This may sound obvious, but sometimes, people confuse what they're good at with what they like... FOR INSTANCE, I like math... but I could NEVER take a job involving calculus because I do not have the training to do so.
    • Try what you want to do in the future (or something close to it!)
      • Think you want a job on the Hill? Join Student Government.
      • Think you want a job as a researcher? Be a lab technician at your school.
    • Try something you've been too scared to try before...
      • This one's tricky, but I will use my personal example. Public speaking, at least for me, was a terrifying monster when I was in High School... But now, I do it for one of my jobs on campus, as a Student Ambassador. To me, that's something that I was too scared to do, but now I'm really good at it!(:
    • Try something DIFFERENT
      • Have a ton of experience in "x"? Gain new experience in "y"! This will make your resume POP and it will also make you see the world a bit differently!
So, those are just a few of the tips I have for you, but at the end of the day, you're in charge of your own life and it's up to you to see where that takes you!(:

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment